Dec 31, 2013

My Top Horror Movies of 2013


 With only one day left in the year I decided to do some reflecting on my life over the last 364 days. Since a huge part of my life is watching horror movies, how exciting right?? I wanted to make a list of the horror movies that I enjoyed the most this year. 2013 Hasn't been a year of major horror film releases in fact, it seems like most of our horror this year came from DVD releases. This list I've made is compiled of Theatrical, DVD, and VOD releases that I personally enjoyed throughout this year and are not in any particular order just going to be listing these in the order I think of them so here we go!

Possible Spoilers Ahead!

 
 
 

 




 

 

 

 

 


V/H/S 2

Synopsis: While searching for a missing student Private Investigators find a collection of VHS tapes. After viewing the horrific tapes they soon realize this case is a lot darker than expected.

A Quick Word: V/H/S 2 was very entertaining to me. I like that it feels like I'm watching many movies in one since essentially you are.

              CLICK HERE FOR MY REVIEW!






                                                                        Static                                                                
                                                               Still from V/H/S 2

                                             I hate putting contacts in too my friend.                                    
                                Still of Phase I Clinical Trails segment from V/H/S 2

                                                                           MARCO!                          
                                 Still of Slumber Party Alien Abduction segment from V/H/S 2

                                             Ahh Shiatsu massages are so relaxing                                         
                                         Still of Safe Haven segment from V/H/S 2




Evil Dead



Synopsis:5 friends head to a remote cabin in hopes to get one of them sober. They discover the Book of the Dead which leads them to summoning demons in the woods. They are one by one possessed and forced to fight for survival.

A Quick Word: It took me watching the Evil Dead remake twice to really appreciate it. I am a fan of the first and held a little bias while watching this little gem. The makeup effects are ahhmazing my hats off to the artists. It's very bloody and quite entertaining. Jane Levy does a great job in her role as Mia.
                         CLICK HERE FOR MY REVIEW!





Sign me up!
Still of The Book of the Dead from Evil Dead
 
Weee're gonna geet youu
Still of Jane Levy from Evil Dead
 
A form of self reconstructive facial surgery
Still of Jessica Lucas from Evil Dead
 
                                            Reptile like features are all the rave.                                                     
                                              Still of Jane Levy from Evil Dead 
 
 
 
 
You're Next

Synopsis: During a family get together for their anniversary the Davison family come under attack by a group of masked killers. Little did they know one of the house guests have a secret talent for fighting back.

A Quick Word: I've heard mixed things from others when it comes to You're Next but, I personally really enjoyed this movie. While it had an 80's slasher movie throwback feel it felt refreshingly different from most films that have come out lately. Good kills, decent acting and a twist make this movie a good watch.






                                                                  Uh, What's Up guys?                                                               
                                                                 Still from You're Next

                                                              Follow the buzzards.                                                          
                                                            Still from You're Next

                                               Reeally guys? PDA next to a dead body?                                  
                                   Still of Wendy Glenn and AJ Bowen from You're Next

                                                                      Bad Axe-ery                                             
                                                  Still of Sharni Vinson from You're Next




Insidious Chapter 2

Synopsis: The Lambert family seeks to uncover the secrets behind the hauntings they've recently experienced.

A Quick Word: It took me two viewings to come around to this movie [seems like a trend here huh?]  I enjoyed this movie since it did expand on the original and gave some good insight on the characters involved. A few good jumps scares and laughs scattered through out make Insidious Chapter 2 worth a watch.

                        CLICK HERE FOR MY REVIEW!





                                                                        Poor Renai...                                      
                                               Still of Rose Byrne from Insidious Chapter 2

                               Where can I get that dress? It's so 1920's Paranormal Chic                                     
                                       Still of Daniel Bisutti from Insidious Chapter 2

                                                                        Mama, No!                                       
                                          Still of Daniel Bisutti from Insidious Chapter 2

                                     I wonder what the Drag scene is like in The Further                                     
                                      Still of Tom Fitzpatrick from Insidious Chapter 2




I Spit on Your Grave 2
Synopsis: Katie is trying to make it in the modeling industry. When she gets photos taken of her to update her portfolio things take a turn for the worst.

A Quick Word: I bet this wouldn't have been on your list of top movies of 2013 but, I have a soft spot for completely over the top gore and revenge stories. There were some pretty brutal scenes in this movie as well as moments where I felt so bad for Katie and couldn't wait for her to get back at these scumbags. As unbelievable as most of these scenarios were I found myself enjoying this movie and rooting for Katie. Just take this movie in for what it is and be entertained by it. I say give it a chance.





                                   They say the modeling industry is cut throat but, damn.                         
                     Still of Jemma Dallender and Yavor Barharov from I Spit on Your Grave 2


                                               And I thought I knew what a bad day was.
                 Still of Jemma Dallender and Alexander Aleksiev from I Spit on Your Grave 2

                                                                        Need a Jump?
                                       Still of Jemma Dallender from I Spit on Your Grave 2

                                                          Sir, are your boils on steroids?
                       Still of Jemma Dallender and Yavar Barharov from I Spit on Your Grave 2





Carrie
Synopsis: The story about a shy outcast who is bullied by her peers and sheltered by her religious mother. She unleashes her telekinetic powers of terror on them and her small town after a cruel prank.

A Quick Thought: While I don't necessarily consider this a horror movie but, rather a drama with horror sequences I liked this Carrie remake. I thought it was well done and sleek and the CGI didn't drive me totally nuts! Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore did great in their roles in my opinion and the story played out nicely.







                                                               You can't sit with us!
                                  Still of Chloe Moretz and Portia Doubleday from Carrie



                                                        PLUG IT UP! PLUG IT UP!
                                                   Still of Chloe Moretz from Carrie


                                                                Mommy Dearest
                                         Still of Chloe Moretz and Julianne Moore


                                                         Derp Derp Mind Control Derp
                                                       Still of Chloe Moretz from Carrie


So there you have it! My list of top horror movies of 2013. It's not a long one but, I worked with what I had and came up with a pretty decent list if I must say so. I hope you all have a wonderful night and a safe and happy New Year! Here's to minimal hangovers and an amazing 2014! Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment